A Web portal All About Energy source

Ecopetrol de Colombia Selects Total Eren to Develop, Finance, Build and Operate a Photovoltaic Solar Park of Approximately 100 Mwp

2

Ecopetrol, a leading company in the Colombian energy sector and one of the main diversified energy companies in the Americas, and Total Eren, a major independent producer of renewable energy (“IPP ” for its acronym in English) based in Paris, announce that they have signed an agreement to start up the Rubiales photovoltaic (PV) solar park.

This photovoltaic solar park will be built in the Rubiales field, owned by Ecopetrol and one of the most important in the Colombian hydrocarbons industry, located in the municipality of Puerto Gaitán, Meta.

Ecopetrol selected Total Eren to develop, finance, build and operate this approximately 100 megawatt peak solar park through a bidding process. Total Eren will have a 51% stake in the project and Ecopetrol the remaining 49%. Construction works are expected to begin in the first quarter of 2023 and the park is expected to come into operation in the first quarter of 2024.

This initiative is part of the decarbonization strategy of the Ecopetrol Group and its commitment to accelerate the energy transition in Colombia, contributing to the sustainable growth of the region thanks to the reduction of more than 24,000 tons of CO₂ emissions per year.

The solar park will have 180,000 monocrystalline bifacial panels, whose capacity will be equivalent to supplying energy to a city of 150,000 inhabitants for a whole day. Ecopetrol will be the user, in its operations, of the energy generated by the park, through a 17-year energy supply contract (PPA – Power Purchase Agreement).

“We are pleased to partner with Total Eren, a company with extensive experience in the solar industry, to further advance our commitment to accelerate the energy transition. Our goal is to add 9,001 megawatts by 2025 through renewable energy to make our operations more sustainable and help combat climate change. All of this is in line with our aspiration to achieve zero net carbon emissions in the year 2050,” said Felipe Bayón, president of the Ecopetrol Group.



David Corchia, CEO of Total Eren , added: “We are delighted to start our cooperation with Ecopetrol to develop, build, finance and operate the Rubiales Solar Park at their facilities, which will supply low-carbon electricity to their operations. Ecopetrol is an energy player responsible and the largest company in Colombia. I am sure that our ambitious partnership will be fruitful and will provide multiple environmental, economic and social benefits at the local level.”

Comments are closed.